Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
No one wants to arrive home after a long day at work to find that a broken water pipe has caused water to leak in your home causing damage to your floors, ceiling or walls. Walking in can be potentially dangerous for your family. Discovering water damage can be an extremely stressful situation, but with the team at SERVPRO of Northwest Brooklyn we are there to help. Give us a call day or night, and we'll arrive to begin the drying process. In the meantime, you can follow the water damage tips below while you are are waiting for SERVPRO to arrive.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (718) 522-4400
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.