Brooklyn-Area Storms Call for Special Attention to Frozen Pipes and Ice Damming
Freezing Weather in Brooklyn Means a Potential Threat – Pay Attention to Ice Damming Development and Frozen Pipes!
Whether you are a homeowner or property manager in the Brooklyn area, you must know that rapidly falling temperatures in winter are a possible threat to all structures. Winter weather patterns can be unpredictable, so you never want to be left with debilitating issues like frozen pipes or ice dams developing outside. SERVPRO prepares for the inevitable each season, and we want our customers in the area to know how to prevent or address these issues!
Frozen pipes and ice damming in Brooklyn, while both vastly different issues, can be preventable. When it comes to frozen pipes, drafty areas in an aging home may lead to freezing conditions. If the plumbing gets exposed for several hours, a blockage could develop, allowing for pressure to build up, resulting in burst pipes. The resulting standing water is something that warrants a call to SERVPRO to get everything cleaned and dry for you as soon as possible. We work to extract water by using:
- Truck-mounted extractors
- Submersible pumps
- Wet vacuums
- Light wants/carpet extractors
You can take precautions to help avoid frozen pipe emergencies by:
- Install pipe insulation around pipes located in crawl spaces, basements, and attics
- Caulk or seal any cracks that could let in cold air, especially in areas where pipes run outside the building
- Winterize the property before the season, disconnect the garden hose, etc.
- Should you notice significant drops in temperatures, open the faucets with a slow drip to keep the lines open
Don’t Forget Ice Dam Prevention
Ice dams are potentially harmful ice ridges that form along the edge of a roof. They can keep snow from melting, so the water is unable to drain correctly. Any moisture that gets into your house from ice dam issues can lead to hidden damage and possible mold and mildew growth.
- Remove the snow from the roof carefully with a roof rake
- Keep icicles from forming
- If ice dams are present, you can make channels through them to allow water from behind to drain from the roof
SERVPRO of Northwest Brooklyn is ready to help should you have issues stemming from frozen pipes or ice dams. Call us at (718) 522-4400!