Flood Safety Awareness
Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States.
Flooding can occur during any season, but some areas of the country are at greater risk at certain times of the year. Coastal areas are at greater risk for flooding during hurricane season (i.e., June to November). Flooding can occur in several ways, including the following.
- Excessive rain or snowmelt cannot be fully absorbed into the ground.
- Waterways are blocked with debris or ice and overflow.
- Water containment systems break, such as water or sewer systems.
- Strong winds from tropical storms or hurricanes cause a storm surge by pushing seawater onto land. The speed and duration of flooding can vary significantly.
To avoid being trapped when floodwaters threaten your area, the best action to protect yourself and your family is to evacuate before flooding starts. Know and follow the directions from local officials for community evacuation or seek high ground for localized flooding. If you do not evacuate before the flooding occurs or you are trapped by flash flooding, do not enter flooded areas or moving water either on foot or in a vehicle, including areas that appear to have only inches of water. Protecting yourself today means having sources for information, preparing your home or workplace, developing an emergency communications plan, and knowing what to do when a flood is approaching your home or business. Taking action today can save lives and property. Know your flood risk. Move costly possessions and important documents – shift valuables and electrical goods off the floor for their own protection, ideally upstairs. SERVPRO of NORTHWEST BROOKLYN recommends the following steps to protect you, your family, and your home.
- Protect furnishing – Small pieces of furniture, rugs, and draperies can be moved upstairs if flooding looks likely.
- Stock up on sandbags – Use sandbags to block doorways, as these will help you fight the flooding and protect your home.
- Protect Irreplaceables – Items of sentimental value, such as photos, should be packed in waterproof containers or bags and put somewhere safe, ideally upstairs. No amount of insurance money can bring these back, so put them out of harm’s way.
- List important contacts – write down important numbers such as your home insurance provider and policy number.
- Keep informed – Watch the weather forecast to keep up-to-date on any threats
SERVPRO of NW BROOKLYN is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Whether you need emergency flood damage restoration or top-to-bottom home cleaning, you can trust us to make your house feel like home again. We have the training, experience, and equipment to quickly get your home looking its best.