What Should I Do After a Fire?
Bring in SERVPRO to Clean and Restore Your Brooklyn Home After a Fire Loss
Even if the damage got contained to a single area in your home, seeing it for the first time after a fire has occurred can feel overwhelming for what to do first. The longer the mitigation efforts get delayed has the potential to increase the loss. That is why it is vital to engage a professional restoration services company as soon as possible after a residential Brooklyn fire loss.
Can I Stay in My House After Fire Damage?
Before we talk about what you should do, let's cover what you should not do after fire damage in your Brooklyn home. Deciding whether or not to remain within the property is something you should talk over with the firefighters at the scene. They can tell you if the structure or nature of the fire loss is okay to be around or not. In many cases, it is not safe to remain around charred items as soot has to potential to be a skin and respiratory irritant. Other considerations include:
- The utilities in your home should not get turned on unless deemed safe by a certified professional
- Do not clean any smoke residues yourself as it can result in greater damages
- If electrical equipment received damage, do not turn it on to test it
- Do not attempt to enter a property deemed structurally unsafe to retrieve valuables or important documents
Actions You Should Take Post-House Fire
There are many proactive things that homeowners can do after a fire before SERVPRO technicians arrive on-site to begin the cleanup and restoration process.
- Contact family members or friends if you need a place to stay after the fire. Then contact your insurance agent to start the claims process and SERVPRO to begin the mitigation efforts for the property and contents
- If your pets cannot stay with you, see if they can stay with a trusted family member or friend until your property gets restored.
- Within 24 hours of the occurrence of the fire, contact your utility companies to turn off the services to your home
- Have the post office hold or forward your mail
What Can SERVPRO Do for Local Property Owners After a Fire?
Once the technicians arrive on the site, homeowners can tell the crew chief any valuable items, keepsakes, or important papers that they need to get out of the home. During the cleanup, the techs will:
- Photograph and document the fire loss items for insurance purposes
- Secure the property if necessary, to keep unauthorized individuals out of it
- Clean and restore both structure and contents with smoke damage
With their general contractor license #2015353DCA, the techs can handle not only the mitigation of the fire loss in the home but also any repairs or reconstruction that needs to occur for a full resolution of the damage. Since mold can sometimes rear its ugly head during the cleanup process, the techs hold certification in mold remediation: #00055, and know the early warning signs of an infestation and know how to halt it before it starts.
SERVPRO of Northwest Brooklyn has advanced equipment and state-of-the-art restoration methods to bring your home from a state of fire damage to its preloss condition. The certified technicians are available 24/7 at (718) 522-4400.
Learn more about Northwest Brooklyn.