Preparing your Home and Vehicle for Winter Storms
PREPARE YOUR HOME & VEHICLE
- Winterize your vehicle and keep the gas tank full. A full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing.
- Insulate you home by installing storm windows or covering windows with plastic from the inside to keep cold air out.
- Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected every year.
- Keep a supply of Sand, Rock Salt, or Non-clumping Kitty Litter to make walkways and steps less slippery.
PUT TOGETHER A SUPPLY KIT
A basic emergency supply kit should include the following recommended items.
- Water – at least a 3-day supply; 1 gallon per person per day
- Food – at least a 3 day supply of non-perishable, easy to prepare food
- Battery powered radio (extra batteries)
- First Aid Kit
- Flashlight and Multi-purpose tool (pliers or wrench-to turn off utilities)
- Medications (7 day supply)
- Family and emergency contact information
- Baby Supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Pet supplies
- Warm Clothing –Jacket/coat, long pants and long sleeved shirt
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
When evacuation is deemed necessary:
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Extra Cash
SERVPRO of Northwest Brooklyn is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Whether you need emergency winter storm damage remediation or other restorative services, you can trust us to make your house feel like home again. We have the training, experience, and equipment to quickly get your home looking its best.